Since his son Adam, 39, passed away, Rick Harrison—who is well-known throughout the world as the host of the popular television program Pawn Stars—has expressed his grief.
Adam Harrison died from what appeared to be a heroin overdose, according to tragic stories that surfaced earlier this week. Now, his father has admitted that fentanyl was the cause.
“Yes, I can confirm that Adam overdosed on fentanyl and died,” Rick told Fox News Digital in a statement. “We need to give this nation’s fentanyl problem more serious attention. It appears that nothing is being done to stop it from just flowing across the boundaries. We have to perform better.
TMZ broke the initial news of Adam’s death, but details about the incident—such as the time and location of the overdose—remain unclear. The inquiry has been started by the Las Vegas Metro Police Department.
On behalf of Adam’s loved ones, Laura Herlovich, a Harrison family spokeswoman, released the following statement: “Our family is extremely saddened by the death of Adam.” We beg for discretion while we process his passing.
Adam was Corey Harrison’s younger brother because he was the second child of Rick Harrison from his first marriage to Kim Harrison. Later on, Rick wed Tracy for the second time; the two of them have a son named Jake.
Adam apparently worked at the family’s company, Gold & Silver Pawn, prior to the 2009 season of the popular television show Pawn Stars, which stars both Rick and Corey. But in recent years, he had not been as involved in the pawn store.
Rick sent a touching homage to his son on Instagram following the news of Adam’s overdose. Rick posted a picture of himself and Adam grinning at a bar with the caption, “You will always be in my heart! Adam, I adore you. 💔
Disturbing data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that from January 2020 to January 2021, the number of overdose deaths, including those involving synthetic opioids, increased by 56.6%.
Fentanyl is classified by the Drug Enforcement Agency as a Schedule II banned narcotic, “about 100 times more potent than morphine.” Sadly, depending on a person’s body size, two milligrams—less than a grain of salt—can be fatal.
Peace be with you, Adam Harrison! We are keeping Rick and the rest of the family in our prayers.